Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Do you practice or play in “I Can’t Do It Mode”?


Dear Future soccer star,

Many players show up to practice and games with absolutely zero goals in their mind on what they want to accomplish.  And when that happens there’s a good chance that whatever drill or exercise they attempt is more difficult than it needs to be. 

Why?

Because without a worthwhile goal – your mind shifts to a default mode that I like to call, “I can’t do it” mode.  Yes it is really that simple.  Without a worthy goal that you want to accomplish – when you are presented with a drill you’ve never done or something new or a tough competitor – your mind automatically says, “I Can’t do it!”

There are specific reasons your mind does this… mainly to keep you safe and protected – so you don’t feel like a failure.  But all you really need to know is that when you are in “I Can’t do it” mode there is absolutely NO WAY you are going to practice, train or perform at your best.    

Let me give you an example:

My very last game of my college career – we were playing against Irvine Valley.  They were 2nd in the conference and my team was dead last.  I was playing at about 60% because I had suffered an injury three weeks earlier and I didn’t want to finish my college career riding the bench.  So I came back after sitting one game and played the best I could. 

Before the game started I was distracted and unfocused.  I was not clear on what I wanted to accomplish and I really had no goal for the game.  Normally I would find some time for myself before the game, recall all the great games and goals I’ve scored before.  Then I would imagine myself having a great game and doing great things to help my team.  But for some reason this game I didn’t do either one of those things.   

From the very first whistle I was getting beat 1v1 and had a hard time keeping up.  And about 2 minutes into the game my mind started telling me, “I can’t do it.  Maybe I should ask for sub and let someone else play.  How am I ever going to keep up with this guy?” 

Not good thoughts to be having in the middle of the game right?

As the game went on – the guy I was covering was becoming more confident in taking me on and started to talk trash.  Usually that type of opponent causes me to flip a switch in my mind and I tell myself – “You’ve got this.  Go show him what you’re made of!”    

But not that day.

My mind kept telling myself in a more passionate and intense voice, “I can’t do it!” 

And the more I heard the voice of “I can’t do it” - the more I believed it.  I kept losing easy balls out of bounds.  I made passes directly to the other team.  I tripped and fell just trying to change direction from offense to defense.   It was bad!  Real bad!!

When the game ended I had five fouls, almost got in two fights, and had failed to do my job on the field in the biggest way.  It was not the way I wanted to end my career.  And it still haunts me to this day. 

But it taught me a huge lesson.  And it’s a lesson that I use when I play competitively today and I share with my players each and every training session. 

The lesson is this:

You must have two things EVERY TIME you take the field! 

1.    A written goal that is simple, clear, and creates a powerful mental image.

2.    A trigger that will help you refocus when things are not going your way. 

If you have these two things you increase your chances of success on the field by 80%.  I’ve proven it to myself and the players I train every day prove it week in and week out. 

So if you have ever had a game where you’ve struggled like I did – and you’d rather not go through that experience again, listen to me now and believe me later. 

Have a simple goal that you can focus on each and every practice and game.  And learn how to develop a trigger that will help you refocus your mind and become calm and relaxed (even under the greatest pressure you can imagine). 

Trust me my friend… if you do these things you’ll drastically reduce the impact of “I can’t do it” mode and start to have much more success on the field!

Talk to you again soon!

 
Coach Nolan

PS  State Cup and tryouts are coming up quick… if you took a long break over the holiday and haven’t started training yet – it’s time to pick up a ball and hit the field.  If you want to join some dedicated players that are having tremendous success email me and we will plug you into some of my training sessions!

We are getting close to starting an 8 week training program that will give you incredible ball mastery and finishing skills of a pro!  Nberentis@gmail.com

 

No comments:

Post a Comment